Sunday, January 1, 2012

Post 2
Zach Perry
11-13-11
Title: "Why am I banned?"

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is, well in short terms, slightly raunchy.  What I mean by this is that when it was written it was socially acceptable to say things like "the N word" or use certain slang words that are now offensive today.  I personally believe that this book is a good book to be banned from elementary and maybe even middle school, but not high schools today.  My reasoning behind this is because, well maybe not at AHS, but at high school just walking down the hall you will most likely hear most if not all of those slang words, and possibly even come across some bullying.  It still isn't necessarily "socially acceptable" however most teenagers today are used to the what was deemed "offensive content" inside of the book.  As you said the kids in the book found 12,000 pieces of gold, and split it 50-50.  You also said that you would take it all and asked if I would do the same.  I, personally, would not do the same due to the fact that they both found it.  If I came across it alone, you bet that it would all be mine, however the only real way to be able to take it all without an argument is to kill the other who was with you.  Plus if we do a little math, we can assume that each gold piece was near an ounce, and an ounce of gold sells for about $1,550.  So these 12,000 pieces in current USD is about $18,600,000.  If you both are in poverty having over 9 million dollars is more than enough.  So if I was in that situation I would put 8 million in the bank, and then have 1 million to survive on for the next year and maybe get a new house or something to help my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment