Thursday, January 5, 2012

Post 18

Zach Perry

11-13-11

Title: Teacher Problems

That wonderful first day of school, meeting new students, getting to know your teacher, and most importantly for Scout, seeing what school is like because it is her first time going ever.  Do you remember your first day ever Dennis?  I remember getting in trouble because someone took my book so I punched him in the stomach.  I didn't like Kindergarten much and neither does Scout.  Scout's teacher, Miss Caroline, isn't the "ideal" teacher, or at least the one that she imagined.  Miss Caroline is, well, the kind of person who likes to be depended on.  The first sign of this that I saw is at the very start, where she gets very angry at Scout for Atticus, their father, teaching her how to read before school.  Can you believe it?!  Angry at a student for being educated!  Hmm, seems a little odd to me but let's keep reading.  Later on a fellow student, Walker Cunningham, who belonges to a poor family, doesn't have lunch, so Miss Caroline offers him a quarter for lunch and he can pay her back tomorrow.  This is normal, I mean, what kind of Kindergarten teacher will just see a student not eat lunch?  The problem is, he is too poor to be able to pay her back, so he tries to decline it.  Miss Caroline keeps going on about how he needs to take it even though Scout chimes in to say that he really can't repay her.  If a student says that he cannot pay you back, and then another student explains to you how poor he is, you could either buy him a lunch to seem like the hero, or stop trying to force him to take the quarter.  You aren't needed that badly, so stop acting as such.  I know I went off on a rant about Miss Caroline and those types of people, but I mean do you agree with me?  She seems a little bit odd to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment